- For other uses of Firestorm, see Firestorm (Disambiguation).
|“||You have your whole life ahead of you. But now it's time for you to let me go.
I'm not ready for you to go!
I'm not either, but if you think about it... compared to the cosmos, one's life is but a blink of an eye. [...] Thank you, Jefferson, for the adventure of a lifetime. I hope your life is long and full of love, just as mine has been.
Professor Martin Stein was a physicist who created the Firestorm Matrix which merged him with Ronnie Raymond as the nuclear being, Firestorm, stylized as the Burning Man by the press. After Raymond's death during the Singularity, Stein lacked a stabilizer of his powers and Team Flash recruited Jefferson "Jax" Jackson and Henry Hewitt. After the latter gone rogue, Stein merged with Jackson and became the new Firestorm until the former's death during the Earth-X Nazi Invasion.
Particle Accelerator Explosion/The Burning Man[edit | hide]
Leaving Central City[edit | hide]
Singularity[edit | hide]
Joining Team Flash[edit | hide]
Recruited by Rip Hunter[edit | hide]
Defeating Vandal Savage[edit | hide]
On December 11, 2013, Martin Stein was hit with the Dark Matter wave created by the particle accelerator explosion. Stein and Ronnie Raymond then merged into one body through the Firestorm Matrix. They then operated as the vigilante known as "Firestorm" and assisted heroes of Earth after Cisco and "Wells" built the Quantum Splicer in order to split them into two bodies.
In 2015, Stein, alongside Jefferson Jackson, Sara Lance, Mick Rory, Ray Palmer, Kendra Saunders, Carter Hall and Leonard Snart were recruited by Rip Hunter. They were then the founding members of the team known as the Legends of Tomorrow and defended the timeline.
In late 2017, Stein was excited about his grandson and asked Gideon to fabricate a unitard. He then sang Good Morning on his way to the bridge and confused Jackson, who refused to accompany him. Stein turned to Palmer, who was saddened by the song as it reminded him of his childhood friend Gumball. Eventually, Gideon accompanied Stein as he returned to his quarters.
- Firestorm Matrix Connection: When the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator exploded, Stein's body was supercharged with Dark Matter. Due to the presence of the Firestorm Matrix, Stein was merged with Ronnie Raymond and formed the nuclear-powered composite known as Firestorm. As Firestorm, Stein was able to provide scientific assistance to Raymond, guiding him to wield his nuclear abilities. After Raymond's death in the Singularity, Stein began merging with Jefferson Jackson to prevent the destruction of his own unstable body. The connection to the matrix was eventually severed when Stein voluntarily took the Firestorm Matrix Cure, freeing Jackson from serving as his life support and ultimately passed away.
- Energy Absorption: As Firestorm, Stein was not only capable of generating nuclear energy, but absorbing surrounding energy as well. This was shown when the joint effort of Stein and Jackson successfully absorbed the nuclear energy released in an atomic bomb, reducing the damage of the reaction to only affect an island. Additionally, while isolated, Stein still possessed the ability to absorb surrounding energy, though at the cost of his health and instability, meaning it required a separate individual to evenly distribute the negative impacts over their bodies.
- Flight: By heating the air surrounding their body, Firestorm was able to levitate in the air for an extended period of time and at an exceptional speed.
- Matter Transmutation: With extreme concentration and dedication, Firestorm had the ability to transmute one substance to another, including a rifle to dust, and an enormous bomb into water.
- Nucleokinesis: The creation of Firestorm is based on nuclear reactions, with the matrix virtually being a nuclear reactor. This allowed Stein and his partners to manipulate nuclear energy and release powerful blasts of energy from their body.
- Nuclear Pyrokinesis: When merged, Stein can generate powerful and concussive blasts of high temperature flames, which were nuclear in nature. The flames were capable of sending strong Metahumans across great distances and even hot enough to melt solid objects.
- Psychic Connection: As a result of the merging of two individuals, both halves of Firestorm could psychically communicate with each other when one, and could also share impulses of thoughts when separated.
|“||Nobody knows how to fix the ship like I do. Except for maybe Ray and Jax. And Rip and Stein. I guess Behrad's not bad either.||”|
— Sara Lance[src]
- Genius-level Intellect: Stein possessed an exceptional intellect, with him skipping directly from 10th grade to college and having at least three PhDs in his 20s.
- Advanced Mathematics: Even under extreme stress, Stein was nearly able to calculate the entry angle of the Waverider.
- Engineering: Stein was one of few engineers of the Waverider, a time travelling vessel created years in the future.
- Physics: Stein was an exceptional scientist, with his name being well known across different fields of science, specifically in the field of quantum physics. Stein also published countless papers and received a series of awards, even being the leader of the pioneering project FIRESTORM.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Stein, despite his age, was shown to be a skilled combatant, having been able to defeat a group of Time Pirates with ease.
- Multilingualism: Stein was fluent in English, Hebrew and German.
- Singing: Stein was an exceptional singing, having done so to disguise himself as Max Lorenz and to distract NASA operators.
- Kinemortophobia: Stein was extremely terrified of Zombies and was not even able to say the term.
- Ionized Radiation: The Firestorm Matrix can be destabilized with ionized radiation, which hindered Firestorm's abilities.
- Separation: When separated from his partner for an extended period of time, Stein's body would build up radiation until it ultimately kills him. This required periodical merges with his partners in order for a stabilization of his body.
- Firestorm Matrix: The Firestorm Matrix was wielded by Stein during the particle accelerator explosion.
- Firestorm Suit: As Firestorm, Stein and Jefferson Jackson wore a protective suit in order to conceal their identities as vigilantes.
- Power Cane: When Stein did not receive the periodical merging with his partner, he was required to walk with an advanced waking cane, which was modified from Eobard Thawne's Speed Battery in his wheelchair.
- Firestorm Matrix Cure: Stein, Jackson, Cisco Ramon and Harry Wells worked extensively on the cure to separate Stein and Jackson from the Firestorm Matrix. Despite the original intention to allow Jackson to keep the abilities was discarded, the cure was effective, and separated them from the matrix, resulting in Stein's death of his own injuries.
- Stein formerly owned a car with the license plate number 5QE-476.
- Stein was married c. 1988.
- To honor Stein's sacrifice, Jackson named his daughter Martina after him.
- According to himself, Stein has to merge at least once a week to keep himself stable.[cite]
- Stein is left-handed.[cite]
The Burning Man
Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond)
Firestorm (Jefferson Jackson)
"Ready to Burn"
First look of DC's Legends of Tomorrow
"Their Time Is Now"
"Fight for the Future"
"A Battle Beyond Time"
"Who Controls the Past Controls the Future"
"An Epic Race Against Time"
"Home of the Best Superhero Shows Anywhere"
"A Mission for All Time"
"Time... You Break It, You Fix It"
- Crazy for You
- The Fury of Firestorm
- Pilot, Part 2
- Out of Time
- Helen Hunt
- The Justice Society of America
- Last Refuge
- Crisis on Earth-X, Part 4
- The Nuclear Man
- Revenge of the Rogues
- Fast Enough
- Pilot, Part 1
- Return of the Mack
- Phone Home
- Fear Me
- wvrdr_error_100 not found
- Ship Broken
- River of Time
- The Good, the Bad and the Cuddly
|Other versions of Martin Stein|