- For other uses of Brainiac, see Brainiac (Disambiguation).
|“||That's the thing about the future. It hasn't been written yet.||”|
— Querl Dox[src]
Querl Dox, better known as Brainy, is a Coluan vigilante from the 31st century known as Brianiac 5 and a Legionnaire.
Traveling to the 21st century along with his teammates, Dox stayed and joined the Super Friends when his rogue cousin terrorized his home time period. Dox used the name Barney Fife while operating among humans and wore Image Inducers to further conceal his appearance.
After meeting his doppelgängers from the Original Multiverse, Dox realized he must work with Lex Luthor in order to rid Leviathan. He was promoted as the director of the DEO and eventually stepped down as the organization perished.
Early Life[edit source]
In his early years, Querl Dox had a close relationship with his parents. They once visited a planet, leading to his mother bottling it. In order to prevent Dox from becoming like the his mother, Dox's father placed 3 Personality Inhibitors on Dox's forehead.
Legionnaire: Brainiac 5[edit source]
|“||So, you're not worried at all that the last time you time traveled, you missed the mark by 15,000 years?
It was 12,000 years.
— Nal and Dox[src]
In the 31st century, Dox joined the Legion and was nicknamed Brainy by the Legionnaires. They then time travelled to the ancient times and froze themselves until 2018. Due to his cousin's agenda to destroy all Artificial Intelligences across the universe in the future, Dox switched his position in the Legion with Winn Schott, and became an agent of DEO as well as a member of the Super Friends.
Relationship with Nia Nal[edit source]
At some point after joining the team, Dox and Nia began a relationship and was nicknamed "Wildcat" by the latter.
Removing his Inhibitors[edit source]
Weeks after the Crisis, Dox and Nia went for a walk by the shore and met another Brainiac 5. Dox-Prime then approached the alternate Dox while starting a fight. However, due to their similarities, they were able to fight off each other's tactics as well as finishing each other's sentences. Dox-Prime then brought his alternate version to the DEO headquarters, only to meet more of his alternate counterparts. As they introduced themselves to each other, an eye patched Dox fell to the ground and was killed.
The group of Brainiac 5s then brought their deceased counterpart to the med lab. As they discussed their past, they found out that the item that killed "Eye Patch" was the Anti-Life Equation. Once they were able to identify the killer and the attacker of Nia Nal was the shy Brainiac 5, they fought to prevent the latter from opening the Bottle and release his Earth on Earth-Prime. After his Personality Inhibitors were damaged, Dox was convinced by Nia to remove them to access his true potential. Dox-Prime was then able to easily defeat his evil counterpart and bring him along with other refugees into the Bottle until they can find a way to safely restore the planet.
After the fight, Dox talked to his counterparts, and they gave him their respective Life Projectors, joining the Big Brain directly as well as allowing Prime to "summon" them for advice. Before the female counterpart of Dox enter the Big Brain, he gave all the information to Dox-Prime in order to defeat both Leviathan and Lex Luthor.
With all the information, Dox went to Nia's apartment and broke up with her, allowing him to "understand his emotions and personalities", whilst working with Lex and defeat him from within.
Working with Lex Luthor[edit source]
Dox then approached Lex and told him that they should work together in order to defeat Leviathan. Luthor then gave a mission to break Toyman out of jail.
Toyman Fiasco[edit source]
With Toyman in freedom, he attempted to kill Chester Dunholtz. Dox was then tasked by Alex to uncover the identity of Toyman's ally's identity, not knowing it was in fact Dox. The team then arrived at the Tower and Nia used her Oneiric powers to predict the next move. However, Nia dreamt of a Wildcat, a nickname she gave for Dox. Dox then continuously asking her, while pressuring her. Despite his attitude, he was caring for the team and approached Luthor in order to prevent casualties. Luthor refused and Dox started doubting his choices. During the fight, Dox paused when Nia was in danger and Winn was able to deduce Dox's feelings for her. He then discussed with Dox regarding his feelings. Dox then told him the truth and Winn told him that he considered him an old friend while keeping his secret.
After keeping Alex "under control", Dox was able to acquire the Immortality Code for Luthor. However, Danvers quit the DEO and Dox was then promoted to director by Luthor.
Continue with Doubt[edit source]
After Dreamer (Nia) took down a Dominator, Dox led a group of DEO agents to arrest the Dominator and thanked Nia. However, both attempted to say something to each other before pausing and thanking each other once more. Kara then called Dox after the anti-transgender hate crimes in order for him to track the criminal. Dox then admitted it was terrible, and quickly changed his attitude to continue his lie. Dox later brought files the DEO kept on the transphobic hate group and gave it to the NCPD.
When Dox asked Luthor to locate the individuals kidnapped by Leviathan, Luthor said he could not as it would threaten himself and his family. Luthor then proposed using the Myriad and Dox did the same to Kara, with the latter agreed. However, Luthor was, in fact, attempting to use the opportunity to frame Supergirl and release a Sun-Eater as a distraction. Dox then gave a Lexosuit to Kara for her to safely bring the Sun-Eater back to the Fortress.
Destruction of the DEO[edit source]
On July 15, 2020, when Dox disobeyed Luthor's orders due to him releasing a Sun-Eater and threatening his friends' lives, he worked with the Super Friends and captured Rama Khan. They then interrogated him, only to find out he was purposely captured to acquire the Kryptonite in the headquarters. He then completely demolished the building with the team being able to survive the collapse with minor injuries.
Dox and Nia then went into an argument as to who Dox affiliates to. Nia then told him that if he does not choose, she would do it for him, leaving Dox in the destruction site alone.
Dox then talked to Luthor, only to realize that he was using Rama Khan for the Kryptonite.
With the DEO gone and Luthor not providing assistance, Dox "summoned" his female counterpart at Al's Dive Bar. He then told her that he will Bottle Leviathan. He then successfully defeated them, only to be injured during the fight.
Luthor then arrived at Dox's side, asking him why he did not wait for Supergirl to die. He then told him that Luthor should not underestimate himself and told him that he would never let his friends die. However, Lex was able to know about Dox's plan since the beginning and was unable to predict his suicidal plan. Luthor then took the bottle away from Dox, telling him that he would do the killing of Supergirl himself, while mockingly saluting Dox and leaving him on the Leviathan Ship.
Moments later, Nia arrived on the ship and attempted to rescue Dox. Dox refused as the radiation of the ship is able to kill Nia. However, she did not listen and used astral projection to damage the ship's security system, allowing her to enter. Nia was then collapsed on the ground and Dox was attacked by Gamemnae. The Super Friends then landed on the ship, with M'gann M'orzz brining Alex, Nia and Dox away from the radiation. Alex Danvers then used the Hand and injected him with a serum, restoring his normal body functions. He then proposed to use the Anti-Life Equation to destroy Gamemnae, with Alex giving Supergirl a microchip and destroying Gamemnae.
No More Secrets[edit source]
Returning to the Tower, Dox and the team reunited with Lena. Dox later gave Nia his Legion Ring for "safekeeping", saying it might come in handy during the fight. He then worked with Lena on activating the Myriad to restore the minds of those under Lex's control. After defeating him, Dox returned to the Tower's lower levels and reconciled with Nia Nal. Dox then told her about the reason he worked with Lex and promised her no more secrets.
Operation Vengeance[edit source]
After Lex Luthor's successful win in the trial, Dox could not control his outrage at Lex Luthor. He later crushed a keyboard and surprised the team.
|“||We should kill him. We can craft the perfect murder. First, with just the tiniest re-wiring of his home, we can deliver a near-fatal electric blow. He'll be paralyzed, but he'll still be aware of what's happening to him. From there, we'll finish him. You choose the method, he's your brother. But just make it slow, okay? After that, we'll dismember the body and scatter the pieces across the universe. I know exactly which planets have atmospheres with pressures high enough to decompose carbon in an instant. This time there will be no Lex resurrection.||”|
— Dox's plan to kill Luthor[src]
Later, Dox started screaming towards the screen when Luthor gave a speech on television. Dox then assisted the team on capturing the Phantom Progenies and proposed to assist on the sub-containment unit. Lena then approached Dox and told him that their original methods of facing emotions, putting them in boxes, was wrong. Dox then broke down in front of her and expressed his hatred on Lex Luthor.
When the Tower was under attack, Dox got the blaster and fought against the Phantoms. The blaster then overheated and Dox sought Alex's cover.
Brandon & Brenda[edit source]
Take #2[edit source]
|“||Trying to relive the past two days would be catastrophic. There are too many variables. Landing a millisecond later than we originally did would have ramifications we can never account for.||”|
Rescue Mission[edit source]
Welcome Back, Kara![edit source]
Mxy vs. Nyxly[edit source]
Blind Spots[edit source]
Nightmares in National City[edit source]
Nyxly & Lex[edit source]
Love and Loss[edit source]
Finding Esme[edit source]
History Books[edit source]
Sprock Logic[edit source]
Date Night[edit source]
Alternate Timeline[edit source]
In a dystopian timeline, Dox's emotions were deleted and became a member of Lena's army alongside Reign. Dox was able to fight the Super Friends until the timeline was erased when Kara and Mxyzptlk returned to their home timeline and turned off the simulations.
Powers and Abilities[edit source]
- Coluan Physiology: As a Coluan, Dox is able to use his techno-organic powers.
- Technopathy (Cybernetic Interface): Dox is able to use different technological devices and able to control it by simply touching it. Dox was also shown to short circuit a technological lock by simply touching it.
- Superhuman Strength: Dox is able to lift and move heavy items. He was also shown to be able to easily destroy a keyboard out of frustration.
- Flight: Dox was shown to fly when he reconnects to the Big Brain.
- Superhuman Durability: Despite being in the radioactive cockpit of the Leviathan Ship, Dox was shown to survive the environment for minutes. Dox also claimed to be able to withstand Kryptonian heat vision.
- Shape-Shifting: Dox has the ability to shift through a contained location, with him shifting through garbage in Oscar.
- Superhuman Speed: Dox is able to run at an exceptional speed, appearing as a blur to the naked eye.
- Superhuman Agility: Dox was able to leap across vehicles and hide from the heavy fire from the United States Army.
- Legion Ring Capabilities: As a former Legionnaire, Dox was given a Legion Ring with multiple functions.
- 12th-level Intellect: Dox has a high-level intellect and was able to understand complex concepts such as the Kill Code. However, he is unable to understand Human metaphors and sarcasm. Having this ability, Dox is able to compartmentalize his fear and maintain resistance against Fear Visions. However, he is still able to feel the fears and struggles to overcome them.
- Strategy: Dox serves as the strategist for the Legion of Super-Heroes, and later the Super Friends, using his exceptional intelligence.
- Engineering: Dox was able to understand complex engineering concepts and often repairs advanced alien technology.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Dox was able to fight his evil counterpart.
- Acrobatics: Dox has the ability to leap over obstacles and perform exceptional stunts easily.
|“||Thin sheets of rubber holding in all that pressure, not knowing when to pop, balloon.||”|
— Dox to J'onn on his fears[src]
- Globophobia: Dox is extremely afraid of balloons and how they will pop at a random point of time.
Former Weaknesses[edit source]
- Personality Inhibitors: While wearing the inhibitors, Dox was shown to have fewer emotions and personality. This affected his ability to connect the Big Brain as well as showing his true emotions to people.
Current Equipment[edit source]
- Image Inducer: Dox wears an image inducer to operate among Humans.
- Legion Ring: As a former Legionnaire, Dox retains the Legion Ring and is able to use it on several occasions.
- Brainiac 5 Suit: After reconnecting to the Big Brain, Dox received a purple protective suit from the latter.
- Life Projectors: After reconnecting the Big Brain and taking to his Pre-Crisis doppelgängers, Dox now has 3 Life Projectors on his suit and can talk to his doppelgängers by "summoning" them.
- Blaster: Dox used a blaster while fighting the Phantoms.
- Illusion Glasses: Dox and Nia wore pairs of glasses to conceal their identity while operating in 2009, preventing a young Kara from having the memory of the two in the past to preserve the timeline.
- Legion Crown: Dox owns a crown that could psychically communicate anything he sees and hears with as many people as necessary.
Former Equipment[edit source]
|“||Ever since I removed my personality inhibitors, I have been overwhelmed by the depth of my emotions. The rage? It's always there. Seeping out, burning me like acid and all I want to do is help you destroy him, Lena. I need to destroy him. And if I can't do that, then how do I make these feelings go away?||”|
— Dox on his rage[src]
- Personality Inhibitors: Dox removed the inhibitors after them being briefly damaged during the battle. He then returned to his true form and regained personalities.
- Legion Suit: As a former Legionnaire, Dox retains the Legion Suit. It was then replaced by a purple suit created by the Big Brain.
|"The Bottle Episode"||Appears|
|"Back from the Future: Part One"||Appears|
|"Back from the Future: Part Two"||Appears|
|"It's a Super Life"||Appears|
|"Alex in Wonderland"||Appears|
|"Deus Lex Machina"||Appears|
|"The Missing Link"||Appears|
|"A Few Good Women"||Appears|
|"Welcome Back, Kara!"||Appears|
|"Still I Rise"||Appears|
|"Mxy in the Middle"||Appears|
|"Hope for Tomorrow"||Appears|
|"Nightmare in National City"||Appears|
|"I Believe in a Thing Called Love"||Appears|
|"Truth or Consequences"||Appears|
|"The Last Gauntlet"||Appears|
- Brainy was recruited into the glee club, math league and the drama guild in Midvale High in 2009.
Promotional Images[edit source]
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 "The Bottle Episode"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Back from the Future: Part One"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Prom Night!"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Welcome Back, Kara!"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "The Gauntlet"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "It's a Super Life"
- ↑ "Back from the Future: Part Two"
- ↑ "Reality Bytes"
- ↑ "Deus Lex Machina"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 "The Missing Link"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 "Immortal Kombat"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 "Rebirth"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "A Few Good Women"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 "Phantom Menaces"
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 "Prom Again!"
- ↑ "Blind Spots"
- ↑ "The Last Gauntlet"
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 "Fear Knot"
- ↑ "Truth or Consequences"
- ↑ "Kara"
- ↑ "Alex in Wonderland"
|Other versions of Querl Dox|