|“||You've got the wrong guy. It's too late for me.
No, you're wrong. It's never too late for second chances.
— Mark Blaine and Barry Allen[src]
Mark Blaine, self-nicknamed Chillblaine, is a former cryo-geneticist at Ivo Laboratories and later a criminal who framed Frost. While fighting Frost, Blaine soon began a romantic relationship with her and reformed, becoming a close ally of Team Flash.
Early Life[edit source]
When Mark Blaine was nine years old, he went skating at Central Lake during Christmas. However, he fell in the water beneath the ice and was submerged in ice cold water for 15 minutes. He then suffered hypothermia about 20 seconds later and felt hotness in his body, later died and resuscitated by paramedics. He then grow up obsessed with ice, claiming it holds the power of life and death.
Obsessed with Ice[edit source]
In his adulthood, Blaine worked in Ivo Labs as a cryo-geneticist and created cryogenic experiments, which were considered "inhuman" by the company. Blaine was then fired from the organization and stole devices he built during his employment in order to further research on ice.
|“||The ice, it holds the power of life and death. A power all too clearly wasted on you, Killer Frost. Oh, I've watched you for years, admiring your abilities, wondering what I could do with them.||”|
— Blaine to Frost[src]
In 2017, when Killer Frost first appeared, Blaine admired her powers and thought about what he could do with her powers.
At some point, Blaine sabotaged a CAT machine in Danville General, blew up the bio-chemistry laboratory in Leawood Med and had an incident with Dr. Haley in Tijuana, which resulted in murderous intent in her.
Framing Frost[edit source]
In mid-2020, Blaine attacked the warehouse of Ivo Laboratories and stole the final microchip needed for his gauntlets. The device he used also froze one of the drivers and shattered his body into pieces. However, due to his use of cryogenic technology, the public thought the crime was committed by Killer Frost, who reformed months prior to the accident.
Blaine was then visited by Frost at O'Shaughnessy's and offered her a drink. They watched a wanted announcement by Kristen Kramer on television, who offered $100,000 for the whereabouts of Killer Frost. The customers at the bar then fought Frost and Blaine was able to knock one of them unconscious with a bottle. He then took off his shirt and changed, catching the attention of Frost. Later, he gave a location to Frost, claiming the location is where the technology used for the crime is stored.
|“||All I needed was for Ivo to move my microchip out of deep freeze so that I could steal it back again... And then combine it with that pesky scan of you. And now...I'm as powerful as you are.||”|
— Blaine to Frost[src]
With Frost going to the warehouse and getting her scan completed, Blaine's gauntlets were successfully ready to fight Frost. Frost soon approached Blaine, now knowing it was him who framed her. They then fought and Blaine constructed a blast at Frost's eyes, restricting her vision. Blaine then told her about his past and how he became obsessed with ice. As Frost held an ice dagger in her hands, Blaine grabbed her from behind and attempted to stab her. Frost then stabbed through her body, impaling Blaine in the process, telling him that she has "ice-healing" which Blaine as a Human, does not. The Flash then arrived and treated Blaine's wound, later putting him in Iron Heights custody.
Prison Break[edit source]
The Godspeed Imperative[edit source]
Double Date[edit source]
A Way to Mourn[edit source]
A Friend[edit source]
Rogue War[edit source]
The Heist[edit source]
Second Chances[edit source]
Khione's Powers[edit source]
Reverse Flashpoint[edit source]
Powers and Abilities[edit source]
- Chillblaine Gauntlets Application: Designed and created by Blaine, the gauntlets are able to replicate Frost's powers.
- Thermokinetic Cryokinesis: The gauntlets are capable of shooting ice blasts and are strong enough to blast objects moving. The ice is also made with artificial Dark Matter, with the particles compacted and different from organic ice blasts by Frost.
|“||I'm a cryo-geneticist. The best.
Oh, let me guess, your former employers didn't agree?
Well, they said that the...experiments I was conducting were...inhuman.
— Blaine and Frost on his employment[src]
- High-level Intellect: Blaine self-claimed the best cryo-geneticist, proving he has a high-level intellect.
- Cryo-Genetics/Chemistry/Physics: Blaine is an expert in cryo-genetics as well as a skilled mixologist, with him having a deep understanding of physics when mixing drinks together.
- Peak of Human Physical Condition: Blaine was shown to have a muscular physique.
- Limited Replication: Despite being able to replicate cryokinetic powers of Frost, Blaine was unable to replicate her ice-healing as well as forming ice daggers.
Current Equipment[edit source]
- Chillblaine Suit: After his prison break, Blaine started using a yellow and blue protective suit as Chillblaine.
- Chillblaine Gauntlets: Blaine uses a pair of gauntlets that are able to replicate Frost's powers as a mean to explore cryokinetic powers.
List of Works[edit source]
- CRC (Consciousness Resurrection Capsule): Hoping to optimize Caitlin Snow's machine to resurrect Frost's consciousness in her mind, Blaine assisted her in creating the CRC.
|Fear Me||Mentioned (Dream|
|Family Matters, Part 2||Appears|
|Rayo de Luz||Appears|
|Enemy at the Gates||Appears|
|Heart of the Matter, Part 2||Mentioned|
|Armageddon, Part 1||Mentioned|
|Armageddon, Part 4||Appears|
|Armageddon, Part 5||Mentioned|
|Impulsive Excessive Disorder||Mentioned|
|The Fire Next Time||Mentioned|
|Funeral for a Friend||Appears|
|Into the Still Force||Appears|
|The Man in the Yellow Tie||Appears|
|Negative, Part 1||Appears|
|Negative, Part 2||Appears|
|Hear No Evil||Appears|
|The Mask of the Red Death, Part 1||Appears|
|The Mask of the Red Death, Part 2||Appears|
|The Good, the Bad and the Lucky||Appears|
- Mark Blaine (Earth-Prime) 001.png
- Mark Blaine (Earth-Prime) 002.png
- Mark Blaine (Earth-Prime) 003.png
Mark Blaine (Reverse Flashpoint)