|“||The city's sick. Sick in a way I hadn't realized.||”|
— Jim Gordon[src]
The series is developed by Bruno Heller and premiered on Fox on September 22, 2014. The second and third season premiered on September 21, 2015, and September 19, 2016, respectively with most of the cast returning and reprising their characters. The fourth season premiered on September 21, 2017. The fifth and final season premiered on January 3, 2019, and concluded the series on April 25, 2019, with a total of 100 episodes.
Pennyworth is set in the same continuity as Gotham, with a younger Alfred Pennyworth appearing in the series portrayed by Jack Bannon. The series also served as a prequel to Gotham and set two decades before the events of it. Additionally, Victoria Cartagena reprised her role as Renee Montoya in the third season of Batwoman.
Everyone knows the name Commissioner Gordon. He is one of the crime world's greatest foes, a man whose reputation is synonymous with law and order. But what is known of Gordon's story and his rise from rookie detective to Police Commissioner? What did it take to navigate the multiple layers of corruption that secretly ruled Gotham City, the spawning ground of the world's most iconic villains? And what circumstances created them – the larger-than-life personas who would become Catwoman, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face and Joker?
Gotham is an origin story of the great DC Comics super villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told. From executive producer/writer Bruno Heller, Gotham follows one cop's rise through a dangerously corrupt city teetering on the edge of evil and chronicles the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time. Growing up in Gotham City's surrounding suburbs, Jim Gordon romanticized the city as a glamorous and exciting metropolis where his late father once served as a successful district attorney. Now, two weeks into his new job as a Gotham City detective and engaged to his beloved fiancée, Barbara Kean, Gordon is living his dream – even as he hopes to restore the city back to the pure version he remembers it was as a kid.
Brave, honest and ready to prove himself, the newly minted detective is partnered with the brash, but shrewd police legend Harvey Bullock, as the two stumble upon the city's highest-profile case ever: the murder of local billionaires Thomas and Martha Wayne. At the scene of the crime, Gordon meets the sole survivor: the Waynes' hauntingly intense 12-year-old son, Bruce, toward whom the young detective feels an inexplicable kinship. Moved by the boy's profound loss, Gordon vows to catch the killer.
As he navigates the often-underhanded politics of Gotham's criminal justice system, Gordon will confront imposing gang boss Fish Mooney, and many of the characters who will become some of fiction's most renowned, enduring villains, including a teenaged Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman and Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin.
Although the crime drama will follow Gordon's turbulent and singular rise through the Gotham City police department, led by Police Captain Sarah Essen, it also will focus on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune, who is being raised by his unflappable butler, Alfred. It is a friendship that will last them all of their lives, playing a crucial role in helping the young boy eventually become the crusader he's destined to be.
Main Cast[edit source]
- Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon (season 1-5)
- Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock (season 1-5)
- David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne (season 1-5)
- Zabryna Guevara as Sarah Essen (season 1–2) *
- Sean Pertwee as Alfred Pennyworth (season 1-5)
- Robin Lord Taylor as Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot) (season 1-5)
- Erin Richards as Barbara Kean (season 1-5)
- Camren Bicondova as Selina "Cat" Kyle (season 1-5)
- Cory Michael Smith as Riddler (Edward Nygma) (season 1-5)
- Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya (season 1) *
- Andrew Stewart-Jones as Crispus Allen (season 1) *
- John Doman as Carmine Falcone (season 1; guest season 2, 4; recurring season 3) *
- Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney (season 1; guest season 2; recurring season 3)
- Drew Powell as Solomon Grundy/Butch Gilzean (Cyrus Gold) (season 2–4; recurring season 1)
- Nicholas D'Agosto as Harvey Dent (season 2; guest season 1)
- Morena Baccarin as Leslie "Lee" Thompkins (season 2–5; recurring season 1)
- Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox (season 2–5; guest season 1)
- Jessica Lucas as Tigress (Tabitha Galavan) (season 2–5)
- James Frain as Azrael (Theo Galavan) (season 2)
- Michael Chiklis as Executioner (Nathaniel Barnes) (season 2–3)
- Benedict Samuel as Mad Hatter (Jervis Tetch) (season 3; recurring season 4; guest season 5)
- Maggiel Geha as Ivy "Pamela" Pepper (season 3; guest season 4) *
- Alexander Siddig as Ra's al Ghul (season 4; guest season 3)
- Crystal Reed as Sofia Falcone (season 4)
- Cameron Monaghan as Jerome Valeska / Jeremiah Valeska (season 4-5; guest season 1-3)
- Shane West as Bane (Eduardo Dorrance) (season 5)
- Jaime Murray as Theresa Walker (Nyssa Al Ghul) (season 5)
- Zabryna Guevara is credited as a series regular through 2x02 "Knock, Knock".
- Jessica Lucas is credited as a series regular through 5x01 "Year Zero".
- While no time indicators were given on the show, showrunner Danny Cannon claimed that Pennyworth took place in the 1960s (specifically 1962 for the first season), and set "twenty-something years" before Gotham. This places Gotham in around the 1980s or early 1990s.
Logos and Title Cards[edit source]
- 'Gotham' EP Danny Cannon Teases Batman Prequel Series 'Pennyworth' – TCA
- New "Pennyworth" Series Confirmed Same Universe as "Gotham"
- Pennyworth Season Two Cast & Producer Interview | Epix
- FEAR STATE continues, Wonder Woman turns 80, and more in the DC Comics October 2021 Solicitations
- 'Gotham' TV Series Synopsis, Logo, & New Story Details Revealed
- When the Pennyworth TV Series Takes Place in Gotham Timeline
- EPIX | Hit Movies, TV Series and More
|DC Universe - Gods and Monsters|
Batman: Classic TV Series • The Green Hornet • Wonder Woman • The Flash • Smallville • Birds of Prey • Gotham • Lucifer • Powerless • Krypton • Titans • Doom Patrol • Swamp Thing • Pennyworth • Stargirl • Naomi • The Penguin • Dead Boy Detectives • Constantine • Justice League Dark • Madame X • Justice U