- For the Artificial Intelligence recreation of Dr. Charles McNider, see Chuck.
|“||All that is good in your life, any light inside you, you have to hold on to it. Turn away from the darkness, or you will be consumed.||”|
— Doctor Mid-Nite to Courtney Whitmore[src]
Dr. Charles McNider is an experienced physician and the retired vigilante known as Doctor Mid-Nite, as well as the founder/leader of the Justice Society of America during the Golden Age of Heroes.
Early Life[edit source]
|“||The goggles are just something my stepdad is working on. False. These were invented by Dr. Charles McNider after he lost his sight fighting the mob. They helped a blind man see. He put on a mask and became Doctor Mid-Nite. Later joining the Justice Society of America.||”|
Charles McNider was born in 1914 and studied at Keystone University, where he earned a doctorate of medicine, and the University of Civic City, where he earned another doctorate of medicine and a doctorate of philosophy in neuroscience. At some point, McNider lost his sight in a fight with the mob, and so he built a pair of goggles which helped him to see again.
Justice Society of America[edit source]
In 1941, McNider joined the Justice Society of America under the alias, Dr. Mid-Nite where he would become the arch-enemy of Gambler. During his time with the JSA, McNider adopted a pet owl that he named Hootie which would land on his arm every time he went to the JSA headquarters and uploaded an A.I. version of himself to his goggles which he gave access to the JSA data banks to aid him. McNider also bought the first edition of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury off the stands.
The Devil in the Shadows[edit source]
Christmas Eve[edit source]
On December 24, 2010, McNider and the rest of the Justice Society were lured into a battle at an abandoned mansion by their arch-enemies, the Injustice Society of America. During the battle, McNider was dragged away by the Shade, which was witnessed by Stripesy. Unbeknownst to Pat Dugan, McNider was actually dragged to Shadowlands instead of being killed in cold blood.
McNider uploaded an A.I. version of himself to his goggles, which he gave access to the JSA database. This was discovered by Beth Chapel, who became best friends with "Chuck" and later used him to become the new Doctor Mid-Nite.
In the Shadows[edit source]
|“||I've been living with the truth for years. The goggles let me see nothing else. It's what's kept me alive.||”|
— Charles McNider[src]
Seeing the Truth[edit source]
Good, Bad and Evil[edit source]
Blue Valley Infiltrated[edit source]
The Next Generation[edit source]
Staman's Brain[edit source]
Powers and Abilities[edit source]
- Longevity: McNider was born in 1914 yet showed no signs of advanced ageing in 2010.
Former Powers[edit source]
- Doctor Mid-Nite Goggles Capabilities: McNider had access to numerous abilities through the use of the Doctor Mid-Nite Goggles such as enhanced vision, x-ray vision, night vision, infrared vision, recognition, lie detection, and decryption.
- Enhanced Vision: Using the Doctor Mid-Nite Goggles, McNider was able to see despite his permanent blindness.
- Genius-level Intellect: McNider was a highly intelligent man who had graduated from both Keystone University and the University of Civic City. He was even able to invent a pair of goggles that helped him overcome blindness.
- Engineering: McNider created a pair of advanced goggles capable of enhancing its users' sight and connect it to the JSA database.
- Hacking: Despite being trapped in the Shadowlands, McNider was able to hack the real world with his goggles and accessed flashes of reality, allowing him to see the news of the real world.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: McNider was a skilled fighter and was able to easily defend himself from dangerous individuals.
- Blindness: McNider lost his sight in a fight with the mob. He later invented a pair of goggles that helped him to see again.
Current Equipment[edit source]
- Incognito Glasses: In his civilian attire, McNider wears a pair of shades that has the same capabilities as his goggles.
Former Equipment[edit source]
- Doctor Mid-Nite Suit: McNider wears a protective suit whilst operating as Doctor Mid-Nite.
- Doctor Mid-Nite Goggles: McNider wears a pair of goggles which helped him overcome his blindness and enhance his vision.
|Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite||Pictured|
|The Justice Society||Mentioned|
|Summer School: Chapter One||Voice|
|Summer School: Chapter Three||Voice|
|Summer School: Chapter Four||Appears|
|Summer School: Chapter Five||Mentioned|
|Summer School: Chapter Seven||Mentioned|
|Summer School: Chapter Eight||Voice|
|Summer School: Chapter Nine||Flashback|
|Summer School: Chapter Ten||Appears|
|Summer School: Chapter Eleven||Appears|
|Summer School: Chapter Twelve||Appears|
|Summer School: Chapter Thirteen||Appears|
|Chapter One: The Murder||Mentioned|
|Chapter Two: The Suspects||Mentioned|
|Chapter Three: The Blackmail||Mentioned|
|Chapter Four: The Evidence||Appears|
|Chapter Five: The Thief||Mentioned|
|Chapter Nine: The Monsters||Mentioned|
|Chapter Twelve: The Last Will and Testament of Sylvester Pemberton||Mentioned|
|Chapter Thirteen: The Reckoning||Appears|
- Charles McNider (Earth-2) (New Multiverse) 001.png
- Charles McNider (Earth-2) (New Multiverse) 002.png
Doctor Mid-Nite (Henry Thomas)
- Charles McNider (Earth-2) (New Multiverse) 003.png
Doctor Mid-Nite (Alex Collins)
- Charles McNider (Earth-2) (New Multiverse) 006.png
McNider without glasses
- ↑ Summer School: Chapter Twelve
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Justice Society
- ↑ Icicle
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Stargirl
- ↑ Summer School: Chapter Four
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Summer School: Chapter Ten
- ↑ Summer School: Chapter Eleven
- ↑ Summer School: Chapter Thirteen
- ↑ Summer School: Chapter Nine
|Other versions of Charles McNider|