|“||We don't all get to choose our paths. You think I wanted to burn up in my plane and become some nuclear accident? You think I raised my hand at flight school, volunteered to have an alien entity merge with my body, basically making me a radioactive pariah? You think I enjoy wrapping my body everyday in bandages and unwrapping them just to take a piss? Do you think it's been fun to not touch anyone for 70 goddamn years? And until today, yeah, I selfishly wanted more.||”|
— Larry Trainor to Paul Trainor[src]
Captain Lawrence "Larry" Trainor is a former United States Air Force test pilot in the 1960s who underwent an incident that made him a host to a Negative Spirit, becoming the Negative Man. Trainor is also the son of Gerald and Debbie Trainor, the ex-husband of Sheryl Trainor, and the father of Gary and Paul Trainor.
For decades, Trainor lived under the care of Niles Caulder in Doom Manor, where he slowly recovered from the years of torture of the Bureau of Oddities. Unfortunately, he remained guilted despite working extensively for decades. He eventually joined forces with other residents in the manor and formed a team against Mister Nobody. After Nobody's defeat, Trainor began to face his past and approached his children when Gary Trainor committed suicide.
Months later, Trainor left for a trip to the Negative Nebula and bid farewell to his original Negative Spirit. Unbeknownst to Trainor, another spirit entered his body and appeared as a parasite. Thankfully, it was liberated from his body and gave him a second chance to be a parent, resulting in him accepting Keeg Bovo into his body.
Early Life[edit source]
Hiding from Love[edit source]
The Accident[edit source]
Mister Nobody's Campaign[edit source]
Mysterious Things[edit source]
Away from the Past[edit source]
Death of the Team[edit source]
New Threats[edit source]
Space Parasite[edit source]
Trip in the Subconscious[edit source]
Problems Solved[edit source]
Immortus Will Rise[edit source]
Struggling with Keeg[edit source]
Rita Farr Retrospective[edit source]
Devil's Bargain[edit source]
Immortus is Hope[edit source]
Powers and Abilities[edit source]
- Astral Projection: Trainor was able to briefly project his astral form out of his body and enter the Tunnel of Souls.
- Atmospheric Adaption: Trainor is capable of breathing at a high altitude.
- Flight: When Trainor decided to leave the Doom Manor, the Negative Spirit created an energy field around him and allowed him to fly. After Keeg Bovo took over the original spirit's position, Trainor once again gained the ability to fly and levitate in the air.
- Radiation Production: After being sent into a field of cosmic radiation while testing the X-15, Trainor was exposed to a Negative Spirit and became the host of it. He then gained the ability to release his Negative Spirit out of his body while going unconscious and entering a dream. However, it was later shown that the radiation was not the result of the Negative Spirit, as he was still required to wear the specialized bandages after it left his body.
- Temperature Immunity: With the Negative Spirit in his body, Trainor is able to withstand extreme heat and cold, as shown when he overcame experiments on his body after the accident.
Former Powers[edit source]
- Inter-Dimensional Travel: Trainor's Negative Spirit can bring him and the team to and away from the White Space.
- Longevity: The Negative Spirit is able to delay Trainor's aging for over 50 years and allow his body to survive a place crash, with him exceeding the human average lifespan. Trainor is also not required to eat or drink, allowing his body to remain the same status for decades. It was later also revealed that like his teammates, Trainor was given a piece of Immortus and subsequently gained the ability to retain the same appearance for decades without any signs of aging.
- Pilot: As a pilot in the Air Force, Trainor learned skills on flying an aircraft.
- Cooking: Trainor is the chef of the Doom Manor, preparing every meal for the inhabitants.
Former Weaknesses[edit source]
- Power Instability: Prior to communicating with the Negative Spirit, Trainor was unable to control its release from his body. Despite it now having a mutual understanding with Trainor, the radiation emitted from his body still remains the same.
Current Equipment[edit source]
- Bandages: In 1966, Trainor arrived at the Doom Manor and was given a room as well as the bandages to protect others from his radiation.
- Goggles: Alongside his bandages, the goggles are able to protect others from radiation.
Former Equipment[edit source]
- North American X-15: Trainor flew the experimental jet, North American X-15, while testing it in the atmosphere.
- Doom Patrol Uniform: In a fantasy created by Mister Nobody, Trainor wore a red and white spandex uniform alongside the team.
|Doom Patrol Patrol||Appears|
|Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part Five||Appears|
|Fun Size Patrol||Appears|
Promotional Images[edit source]
|Other versions of Larry Trainor|
Earth: 9 • Mindscape